- Public Works
- Electronics Recycling Collections
Electronics and Appliance Recycling Collections
Newtown Township is pleased to provide and share opportunities for residents to properly dispose of electronics. Immediately below you will find information from the State of Pennsylvania about Electronics Recycling. Below that you will find two tabs which will provide you with two great ways Newtown Township provides it's residents to properly dispose of any electronics (either a curbside collection through our partnership with "retrievr" or through one of our "Electronics Drop Off Events."
State of Pennsylvania Electronics Recycling Information
- Pennsylvania DEP - Electronics Recycling Information
Newtown Township Electronics Recycling Pickup Collection
Newtown Township has partnered with "retrievr" (formerly Curb My Clutter) to provide residents an opportunity to responsibly dispose of electronic (and textile) waste that would not otherwise be donated. Their service is text-based, where you text the word "pickup" to 757-70-FETCH (757-703-3824), provide some details of the materials to be collected and schedule a time for them to be taken away. They come right to your door when you have the materials prepared.
Other than TV’s, computer monitors, microwaves, air conditioners and dehumidifiers, there is only a 1-time $10 pickup fee no matter how many items are being collected (TV’s, computer monitors, microwaves, air conditioners and dehumidifiers do have an additional cost due to the expense of disposing of them in accordance with PA environmental laws).
Please follow the link below for full information, instructions, materials accepted and FAQ’s:
Harry J. RobinsonSupervisorPhone: 610-356-0200, ext. 134
George SharrettsDirector and Road MasterPhone: 610-356-0200, ext. 112
Steve BradlyPublic Works CoordinatorPhone: 610-356-0200 x148
Phone: : 610-356-0200Fax: : 610-356-8722
Newtown Township Electronics Recycling Drop-off Collection Events
Each year Newtown Township partners with two other Municipalities to host an ’’Electronics Recycling Collection” event. In 2022 the event was held on Saturday, September 24"‘at Delaware County Community College. The three townships cover the cost so that residents of those three communities can bring electronics to be recycled for free.
This year, the three participating Municipalities were Newtown, Marple and Springfield Townships. Public Works staff from Newtown and Marple together worked the logistics of the event. Approximately 800 vehicles attended over the 4 hours, and an estimated 63,000 pounds of electronics were collected for recycling. It went smoothly and wait times were minimal.
- Newtown Township will post information about any scheduled event in 2023 on this page and under "news posts" once preparations have been finalized.
- Remember that you can also look at the "Electronics Recycling Pickup" tab on this page to see if you can make use of Newtown Township’s partnership with "retrievr" to responsibly recycle your electronics and textile materials.
- Newtown Township encourages residents to investigate the stores who sell electronics that also take electronic items to be recycled throughout the year. We are aware that TV’s are currently not accepted by these stores due to the extreme cost of recycling their components. We are actively looking for a resource for our residents to recycle TV’s and will post that information here when an option other than our annual electronics recycling event is found.
- There are other electronic recycling events at nearby locations held throughout the year - when we learn of these we will post that information here.
Other Resources for Electronics and Appliance Recycling
Below see links to resources to other electronics and appliance recycling options. Always check with the store you purchase a new item from - often the electronics or appliances you are replacing can be taken by them at that time for recycling.
- PECO Appliance Recycling
- Electronics and Appliance Recycling at Best Buy
- Electronics Recycling at Home Depot
- Electronics Recycling at Staples
- Recycling Drop Off Locations (PDF)
- Note: this is a listing compiled and provided as a service by the Delaware County Solid Waste Authority - Recycling Division.