Newtown Township Recycling Information
Key Information Regarding Residential Recycling in 2022
Please read below regarding the changes in schedule for residential recycling collections in 2022. Most information remains the same (the way you prepare your materials, the kinds of materials collected, etc.) The dates of your collection may have changed, so please read below to see if you have a new pick-up day.
Residential single-stream recycling collections occur from each home twice every month. Here you can see materials that can be recycled, a map with schedule, household hazardous waste collection information and other important recycling information.
The Township of Newtown recently went through a formal bidding process for residential recycling services. Republic Services was awarded a 3-year contract beginning January 1, 2022.
The recycling collection will continue to be done two times per month. However, the days of collections will be changing. Instead of two zones, there will now be six. Republic Services has requested this new schedule and zone map so as to collect recycling more gradually throughout the week and provide greater flexibility to address issues and concerns during the week. They are doing this by sending one truck and crew into town over the course of three days, instead of three trucks at the same time on one day. The zones they proposed are based on how many pickups can be made in one day. Depending on your zone, collection will now take place on Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays – twice per month.
Residential Recycling Information
Collections begin at 7:00 a.m. on your recycling day, so be sure to have your materials out before that. In the event of a missed pick-up, please call customer service directly at Republic Services . Be sure to identify that you are from Newtown Township in Delaware County. For all other recycling questions you may call or email Newtown Township directly. Thank you for your efforts to recycle.
✔ There are no collections in the few instances where there is 5th Wednesday, 5th Thursday or 5th Friday of the month, so that everyone can stay on their 1st and 3rd / 2nd and 4th collection day schedules throughout the year.
✔ When a collection is scheduled on a Holiday, the collection will instead take place the day after.
✔ DO NOT USE TRASH BAGS OR PLASTIC BAGS
Please use the tan and blue carts provided to each home by Newtown Township to put your recyclables in. Additional materials can be placed immediately next to these carts. All recyclables need to be clean and dry and placed loosely in the carts. No plastic bags can be used for recyclables – using plastic bags / trash bags renders the recycling contaminated and can cause the collected material to be thrown out.
ACME, Giant, Wawa and other stores provide bins for plastic bag recycling. When other opportunities for recycling this kind of material are determined, the information will be shared here.
Recycling Drop-Off Locations
Residents who wish to drop-off recyclable materials have several options to do so. They may drop off at the following locations:
- Newtown Township Municipal Building - the area is located near the entrance to the Public Works yard behind the police station / library. The green-gated area has 10 of our blue / tan recycling carts - just place your residential single-stream recyclable materials into the carts.
- Delaware County "Igloos" - they accept glass, aluminum and bimetallic cans and plastic bottles. Follow the link for these drop-off locations.
- Paper and Cardboard - Follow the link for locations that accept these materials.
- You may also view the Delaware County Recycling site to see locations throughout the County that accept a wide variety of materials.
State of Pennsylvania Electronics Recycling Information
- Pennsylvania DEP - Electronics Recycling Information
Newtown Township Electronics Recycling Drop-off Collection Events
Newtown Township Electronics Recycling Pickup Collection
Newtown Township has partnered with "retrievr" (formerly Curb My Clutter) to provide residents an opportunity to responsibly dispose of electronic (and textile) waste that would not otherwise be donated. Their service is text-based, where you text the word "pickup" to 757-70-FETCH (757-703-3824), provide some details of the materials to be collected and schedule a time for them to be taken away. They come right to your door when you have the materials prepared. Please follow the link below for full information, instructions, materials accepted and FAQ’s:
There are other electronic recycling events at nearby locations held throughout the year - when we learn of these we will post that information.
- PECO Appliance Recycling
- Electronics and Appliance Recycling at Best Buy
- Electronics Recycling at Home Depot
- Electronics Recycling at Staples
Delaware County Recycling Information
- Delaware County Recycling Information
- Delaware County Tri-Fold Recycling Brochure (PDF)
- Composting at Home
- Plastic Bag Recycling (PDF)
- Latex Paint Disposal (PDF)
- Home Health Care Waste Disposal Tips - State of PA (PDF)
- Home Health Care Waste Disposal Tips - Delaware County (PDF)
- Household Hazardous Waste Information
- Automotive Products Recycling Sites in Delaware County (PDF)
- Recycling Drop Off Locations (PDF)
- Note: this is a listing compiled and provided as a service by the Delaware County Solid Waste Authority - Recycling Division.